Friday, October 24, 2014

Day 12: Goodbye and Hello Mexico

Although today is not my last day in Mexico, it's my last day at the school. I've learned so much, I've had so much fun, it's hard to say goodbye! All of my teachers gave me great hugs and told me to come back. My fellow students too! So sweet!

In about an hour, I'm taking the bus to Mexico City, and will continue my journey there.

*** A la ciudad de Mexico!

I got my first "independent" bus trip and it wasn't bad at all. First of all, it was super fast, mi mama mexicana dropped me off at the airport, and in just a few minutes, I was ready to board on the bus. Then the bus was leaving in 5 minutes! Que perfecto!

The bus has assigned seat, and the one next to me was empty: I was occupying two - yihaaa! The seat also has a recliner, you can have it back down all the way, just like in a car, and much more comfortable than an airplane. They played Elysum on the bus, in dubbed Spanish. It was great for me to shoulder-pat myself every time I picked up a word or two! I was like, great, I can now watch movies (yeah, if they are made up of 2 word dialogues)!

But of course, I dozed off soon after, a very pleasant nap. When I woke up, the bus was already close to the city, but traffic was terrible - we were hardly moving at all. Since it was my first bus trip, I don't have any reference point and was just enjoying the view. Several people were complaining on the phone (I eavesdropped).

The bus arrived at a crazily crowded station. Following advice from my teachers and friends, I went straight to the prepaid taxi counter, where you tell them the address, and pay the fare in advance. Then they assign you a number and you can find your taxi right away. Mine was really expensive (150 pesos) but not knowing any better, I was just silent and went to my taxi. Now, here's the interesting part. My taxi driver had no idea where my hotel was. Umm, I booked the Hampton Inn & Suites, and was thinking that at least Hampton has some kind of brand name in Mexico? Nada. He was also long sighted, and had the hardest time reading the address. He told me the street that I gave him was very long, it could be anywhere! In my broken Spanish, I told him to take me to the Central Square and we can figure out from there. It was a success. He told me to the Zocalo, from there, we asked a pedi-cab and was able to get to the hotel.

Not only that, I also made friends with him, and was given his email for my trip to the airport later. He left his cell phone at home, so he told me, email or facebook! I somehow managed to explain my complicated living situation: I'll stay in the hotel for one night, then to another apartment near by. I need a taxi at 2 am in the morning. He said, yes, he will pick me up at 2 am in the morning, and he also promised to send email. In the meantime, he also mentioned a bunch of hotels where the rates are much better than mine :|

At the hotel, I checked in in Spanish, obviously struggling, so the receptionist asked if I wanted to switch to English. Here's what the stubborn Tam said: Spanish only, so that I can practice! She was very patient, although she had to answer everything two or three times to my duck-pooping (ngong i) face :| But I was able to check in no problema.

Hotel service also called and asked me something on the phone. They repeated it twice, but I still couldn't figure it out. I hope it wasn't something terrible.

Alright, this is the up-to-the-moment update. I have to enjoy hotel amenities, and then the Zocalo!

No comments:

Post a Comment