Thursday, October 16, 2014

Day 4: Just Relax

Time flies - it's already my 4th day in Mexico. Today, I got up with an excellent breakfast, like usual, and then went to school. Not much else happened.

Breakfast: my Mexico mama made a sweet tamale. She told me that there are many types of tamales in Mexico. Basically, you can put anything in a tamale, and they all have different names. Mine today was corn, very sweet, and very good as well.

The regular fruits, melon, watermelon, apple, pineapple made a reappearance.

Today is also the first day I could make some "small" talk with my Mexican mama. It really was small because I couldn't say a lot, but worth remembering, as my Mexican mama, Rosil, then told my teachers that we had a conversation. A baby step!

Class: There will be an exam tomorrow, and today, I was given about 20 more new verbs, all of them irregular, and a new verb tense to learn. There are also new words as well, today is the first time I know how to say "yesterday" in Spanish. I've heard it forever, just today it became clear what it means.

I also realized that I didn't understand much because, in addition to my lack of vocabulary, I don't know any verb tense except for the present. Even common actions sound different in the past. No wonder I had no idea what people were asking, and their confused looks when I answered everything in the present tense. I go to bed, I get up, I eat, etc. Et voi1a!

Every so often, I'd say a word in French too. I always mumble, "C'est bon!" instead of the correct "Esta bien". I just happened to say so many other things in French too. I did not want to do that. It's just my fried brain doing its detection: Is it Vietnamese? No? English? No? Oh must be French! Rush out some words!

It's absolutely funny to hear me trying to pronounce Spanish words. The rolled "R" is already of international fame, but I elevate it to another level: I treat it as a French word and pronounce it like a nasal sound - haha. Other times my brain is super active, and creates new non-existing words on the spot. I suspect I only read half of the words in general and make up the other half. Often, the prediction is right, but today, I saw "me" and thought it must be "Mexican", while the sentence was actually "he is a mechanic" - no es mexicano! My teachers had a good time laughing at my fabrication: Don't read what is written, read out loud what you think it should be.

After-class: Well, this afternoon, I'm staying at home with Hachi, the very cute dog of my Mexican mama. After two days of going out, I suddenly became exhausted. I have so many books to read though. I can also walk around this very nice neighborhood. Did I mention I also have walnut shrimp from last night?

Tomorrow is Friday! Then the weekend! I'm pretty sure there's something planned, but for now, I can only think about my siesta.

No comments:

Post a Comment