Friday, October 17, 2014

Day 5: Itches!

Last night, I looked at all existing entries and noticed, all of them begin with "Today", and are about food. So I decided to change the topic, and begin with "last night" here. I also forgot to take the ritual breakfast picture today, which leaves room for other topics, like, other food :) ?

J/k. The day began with a trip to the local pharmacy. I've been getting these crazy itches around my ankles with tiny red dots. I spent last night researching and concluded that it's better safe than sorry. I wrote an email to the program director, asking to be checked by a doctor. He said not to worry, we could check at the pharmacy, and today, mi mama mexicana took me to one. Of course, I did not understand much of the conversation, except for his prescription. He gave me cortisone, loratadine, and told me to treat it in the next 3 to 4 days. My program director told me that his niece gets these red dots all the time, they come from the grass - or in his words, "grass lice". These insects give crazy bites, so I should wear shoes instead of sandals the next time I'm in the school yard. His words made me even worrier, do these lice live on people or as long as I stay away from the grass, I'll be OK?

In the meantime, it still itches like crazy. I was really scared that I got scabies. The Internet says one of the symptoms is red dots like mosquito bites, but if you look close, they are actually burrows where the scabies mites lay eggs. The pictures look quite disgusting. However, scabies contract from human to human, and I don't think I know anyone with scabies. Even in all my intensive travel recently, I don't think I was in much human contact with anyone except for handshakes and hugs. Unless the room in Punta Canta had scabies in the sheets? But my friend Nga is totally fine without any itch. The red dots are not concentrated around one place or linked either. In any case, that's quite a scary thought. "Grass lice" sound much better (can't believe what I just wrote!)

Meanwhile, this morning, I attained two new big red dots on my feet. It's impossible not to go to the grass, because the chairs and tables are there. I already did the unsightly thing of putting my legs on the chairs. I'll wear close-up shoes the next time. For now these itches are quite bad. I'll try to think about new words, Spanish, and class instead.

This afternoon, we'll go to a nice restaurant in Cuernavaca, Las Mananitas. I just looked up the word, and it is a traditional Mexican song for birthdays, which is perfect, as we are going to celebrate my classmate's birthday there.


This weekend is also packed with trips to nearby towns. I'm excited! I'll wear shoes and cover myself everywhere. Mosquitoes and insects love me too much!

For now, an usual siesta would be good. My Mexican mama is off to work. I'm at home with Hachi again. She told me to close the door so that Hachi would not enter. But the dog looks too cute and I hate the idea of him looking sad and alone. Hachi always find people to hang out with. He jumps to my bed, sits next to me, etc. It's like he has a sensor for human. I've only had cats before, so I'm not used to it yet. But it's nice.

* Note: I just finally realize that "salsa" just means sauce. So when they ask you, do you want salsa, it just means any kind of sauce, even, say, pasta sauce! Or fish sauce!

* After trip report: this is us at the fancy Las Mananitas. There are wonderful fish, duck, and other delicious food after this. We also got to tour the kitchen and garage b/c we wanted to get a taxi. In fact, I'm now not afraid of taking the taxi anymore. Today, I even bargained using fingers (6? Nope, 5! It works), and told the driver that there are two locations instead of just one. Wonderful people here!

No comments:

Post a Comment