Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Day 2: Continued Confusion

Buenos diaz! Today I got up awfully early, and then took a shower and went to school. I feel like a little kid going to school every day again.
My Spanish improves a tiny bit, but I still clearly struggle to understand my Mexican mama. Everyone told me that she is awesome, but due to the language barrier, I haven't been able to talk to her at all. Most of the conversations involve me saying Si si, or muy bien :D
Although today I adventured to say a vocabulary of food items and made some tiny progress. I can ask questions now. I know some verb tenses. I can even conjugate (barely)! Hoy!
After a big comida, I'm going to the downtown area for a tour at 5. There'll be a taxi involved too. I'm a bit worried since I have never hailed a taxi here at all. But at any case, it should be fun!

Report after the downtown adventure:
It rained! The moment we got on the car, it poured like crazy. Mi mama mexicana told me to bring an umbrella if I had one, which I did, thanks to good packing preparation. The umbrella saved me from getting wet the whole tour!
My tour guide, Ms Paquinto, was very nice and gracious. But my Spanish is hardly sustainable for such level of conversation. I could only get very little from the Cuernavaca history, the cathedral and what is special about this place. Ever so often, looking at my confused face, she would stop and explain something in details. But it didn't help. I just went from one level of confusion to another. Then, of course, if she gave me the English words, all is well again!
After the tour in the Central Cathedral, Miguel y Roberto and I went for an adventure in the downtown area. We got lost in a Mexican market. It looked just as crazy as a Vietnamese one, too many shoes, too many goods. It smelled like tacos everywhere, or grilled corns, and I immediately felt hungry. We were trying to find fruit stands, instead, we saw one shop after another, full of shoes, or some other items. In between there were barber shops, small eateries, DVD stores, clothes stands, and a row of just flower shops. It was very chaotic, it felt like a maze that we could never get out. Eventually, we decided to exit when we saw a small alley. Once we were out, we didn't know where we were anymore.
Luckily, out of the three of us, Roberto is an experienced Spanish speaker. He asked the police for the way, and the friendly police held up traffic so that we could cross the streets. It was very nice and special. We walked up the hills following his direction, and finally found ourselves at the starting point. At this point, everyone was hungry, and we decided to go for dinner.
I'm happy to report back: I'm full after dinner - I don't remember what I ate, Roberto ordered them all. I even forgot to take pictures although I was super touristy during the tour and took many pictures of things I could not understand.
Roberto and Miguel hailed a Radio cab for me after that. I got a chance to practice my baby Spanish - I asked for the price, and luckily, did not have to bargain. The price was just what I was told what it should be. Cuanrente pesos! I could do that.
When the taxi arrived on my street, I wanted to tell him, keep going. But of course, I don't have the vocabulary for that. I hand-motioned. He followed. We finally arrived at the right house. I survived!
After I got home, mi mama mexicana wasn't at home, but she got two guests came knocking at the door. Guess who answered them? Yo! I told them this was her house, but didn't know how to say she was not at home. But they got it, and said they would come back tomorrow in the morning. Bien!
This is it for today's adventure. Reported on the spot. Now I have to do homework, go to sleep, and get ready for tomorrow!
Buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment