Sunday, October 19, 2014

Day 7: Pyramid


This weekend has been so much fun: yesterday we climbed a pyramid in Tepoztlan, and today, we were on top of the 3rd biggest pyramid in the world! The pyramid in Teotihuacan belongs to a sophisticated structure, including civilian homes, markets, guest houses, etc. It made me feel like I'm entering a city in ancient time. The view is great, the structure quite magnificent, I love this trip.

One thing about traveling to pyramids: you may want to train a bit at home. I don't know much about the brave and strong people of prehistoric time, but for modern humans, walking up a tall pyramid sure looks dangerous. Yesterday, we were on the edge of a pyramid, and the edge was so narrow, we always felt like we could fall off at any moment. Today, the edge is big larger, nevertheless, the height is freighting. There is no rail, fence, or anything to prevent you from falling. Just have to hold your breath, and believe!

We also got to see the painting techniques of ancient people: they use a combination of cactus worms and various kinds of wild plants. It sounds gross, but it actually works very well: the color is immediate, bright, and long-lasting. We each got a postcard package made from cactus leaves. (Don't worry friends, I'll send you postcards once I know my way to the post office!)

After visiting the pyramids, we also went to see the 2nd most visited church in the world, the Basilica in Mexico City. The church has a quilt of Virgin Mary, which was revealed as a miracle. It also has an interesting structure: the old church was sinking due to soft soil underneath, and the new church is big, bright, like an auditorium. Mexican history and religion are so rich and interesting.

On the way back home, I stopped by a taco shop, and ate with my friends. The shop looks like a "bia hoi" in Vietnam, but the food smells super good. It was packed with locals, too, and it did not disappoint. I had pineapple pork, beefsteak, and ribs with mushrooms. They all tasted very yummy. In fact, I was so full I could not move.

I just got home and jotted this down for fear that I might fall asleep and forget my journaling mission. Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment