Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Day 9: Irregular Verbs

I haven't learned a new language for so long, I forgot the difficulties of learning one. For example, how much you have to memorize just to survive and say simple things such as, What did you do yesterday? Not only do you have to know the verb "to do", you have to be able to put it in the right past tense. Then, you have to know how to say "yesterday", the pronoun, the question phrase "What". And when people answer, you, again, need to know the verbs and their tense, in order to understand anything. Et voila, c'est la vie!

In my 2nd week in this beautiful town, my very talented teacher wanted me to master 6 verb tenses in Spanish. I know, it isn't all tenses yet, but for me, it's more than enough. Not only there are many tenses, there are very many irregular verbs, too. My favorite word in the class, according to her, has been "difficil" - new verbs are difficult, new tenses are difficult, irregular verbs, also difficult. Is there anything easy for me?

At the same time, I appreciate the fact that I can understand more now thanks to expansive knowledge of verb tenses. Especially the verb "to be" and "to go", suddenly, it is so clear what everyone is asking about. (my answer to them is another story though)

There will only be a few days left until I come back to the States. It's a bitter-sweet feeling. I've enjoyed the time here so much, it's kinda sad to go. I want to squeeze in as much as possible. There are so many things to see, places to go, that it is hard to plan it all. As of now, my only plan is to go to Mexico City again this weekend, and try to hit all the touristy spots. This trip is heavy on the spontaneous side, I haven't even bought the bus ticket yet. I have booked a hotel, but it's likely going to change, too.

Today, I will go to the "black market" of Cuernavaca with Lina. For now, I need to take a nap after a very full meal of quesidilla. This is what homemade quesidilla looks like:
** Update after "black market" trip": I bought some socks and guavas (for a total of 10 pesos or less than $1!) We also saw a family of NINE people getting out of a regular cab. I was so tempted to be touristy and snapped a pic - but I did not. We went to a posh restaurant with red wallpaper and a dance floor - perfect for a date! - but ordered only lemonade, then left to gossip at a sidewalk cafe near the Cathedral :) A funny thing happened: we were talking about A and then I saw him playing on the street. I should have alerted my friend, but I really thought it was imagination as we were just chatting about him. I didn't even remember his face. But don't worry, a moment was not lost. A sent my friend a message to confirm. Fun time ensued. I'm thirty and I'm not supposed to get giddy anymore. But I can't help getting excited about the start of something, especially when I'm there to witness :)

(new newly purchased guavas!)

No comments:

Post a Comment