Monday, October 27, 2014

Day 14: Back

I'm back to San Francisco! The last day was traveling but nevertheless had interesting stories. The problem? No Internet at home yet, but as soon as civilization is back I'll definitely post an account of the last day.
In the meantime,  my next adventure is: how to fit many stuff in a tiny SF apartment?

** The Real Day 14: Adventure at the last minute!

I cheated a little bit: day 14 in Mexico wasn't a 24 hour, it was 5, and early in the morning, when there was no traffic in Mexico city - a rarity. Nevertheless I experienced a memorable time change -Daylight Saving happened in Mexico a week earlier than in the US - saw what happened to United 3 hours before the flight, chilled out at a house party, and had some taxi story to tell ya'all!

My flight was at 5 in the morning, and the day before, my random taxi driver told me that he would pick me up at 2 to drop me off at the airport. The problem? He didn't have a phone and neither did I. So how did we communicate? Basically on faith. Somehow I thought that he was really going to pick me up, and I didn't book any other thing in preparation. At 1:50 am, I looked out the window, there was nothing. At 1:59 am: still nothing, I was a little nervous, but decided to take a quick 1 minute mediation nap. 2:10 am: there was a car outside! It was a taxi! Faith restored! I came down. Now here's the interesting part - the taxi driver was sleeping with a towel across his face. I wanted to check if he was Hector, my dear taxi driver, but there was no way to know. The towel covered his face. The taxi didn't have any name tag. Stupid me didn't save the taxi number, but it didn't look like what I remembered, either. I felt bad - what if he was Hector, and was waiting for me? The street was empty. There was no other taxi around. Apparently, no other cars parked around that spot, either. At the same time, if he was here to pick me up, shouldn't he be up or at least have some kind of signals?

After 20 minutes walking around the car, inspecting its elements from the outside, I decided to leave the taxi driver sleeping. It felt cruel to wake up someone at 2 am. I went upstairs and called Uber instead. Yes, Uber is in Mexico City, and cool kids call it something like U-bear-rr. I got a black car, which arrived in just 7 minutes. Yet, the taxi driver at 2 am remained my concern and puzzle. I didn't know what happened and to this day still don't. That is my little Mexican mystery.

I arrived safe and sound in San Francisco. My friends saved a delicious portion of "bun bo xao" for me at home. Then off we went to my new San Francisco apartment, where I'm staying till today, and just got Internet this morning. 

I imagined some epic entry to end this blog, but the fact is, I'm not writing this live like every other day - this is a "microwaved" entry :) The heat is hard to reconstruct, but the taste - still the same, as you can probably tell, I love my Mexico trip. I came back refreshed, and to an extreme, reborn. All the previous hatred, frustration, disappointment, and heartache suddenly seemed so distant. They were part of another chapter of my life, a past that is ready to be shelved away. Mexico gave me the fresh start that I needed. I'm ready for San Francisco and my new life here. 

Thank you for reading my lengthy travel rants, commenting, and checking up on me, my dear family and friends! I feel special and cherished. I'd love to update you all about my SF life, too, but I probably won't be able to write every day. Occasional crazy stories about my tiny space? Totally feasible, say hello to http://326sf.blogspot.com/ :)

No comments:

Post a Comment